Too many students are not aware of the all the scholarships and other types of student funding available for them during the summer. There are countless, completely funded summer programs reserved only for college students. Most of these programs even provide participants with a STIPEND, that means free money that you could save or use for other educational expenses. These types of summer programs and funding played a huge role in my feat of graduating debt-free.
Make sure to check out the University at Albany’s Summer Research Program. The program provides a stipend of $3,000 AND room and board, so you could save part of that 3,000 dollars for your next tuition payment or maybe cover campus bus fare. Whatever you choose, if you get into the program, the stipend money is YOURS to manage and to keep on your own. Sounds great, right? Ok, so here’s what you need to know.
The application is due February 26th, 2016 and the eligibility is as follows.
- Must be U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Must have completed the sophomore year by June of current academic year
- Must have a 2.7 GPA or higher
- Should have a genuine interest in research, and learning leading towards a Ph.D.
- We follow NSF criteria student must be from: an African American, Latino, Native American, Alaskan Native, Hawaiian Native, Native Pacific Islander (Polynesian or Micronesian), or economically disadvantage
I know that the program is looking for students interested in pursuing a Ph.D. but just know that you are NOT required to be 100% sure about your post-graduation plans just yet. Participation in this program will not bind you to one particular path, but the program provides a great opportunity to get exposure to some of the post-graduation opportunities out there for you.
So, if you’re eligible–let’s get down to business.
Click here to get a look at the program’s fact sheet.
And click here to apply.
Good luck and please share your stories of scholarship and student funding success!